It’s spring and asparagus are in season! A great way to enjoy them is sautéed with some shallots and cooked up with eggs into an easy frittata.
Most of the cooking is done on the stove-top. When the eggs are close to being set, you sprinkle everything with grated Gruyere cheese and pop it under the broiler.
Don’t have Gruyere? You can use any Swiss cheese or even an Italian blend.
My father got bit by the frittata bug this week and made these for us for lunch a few days ago. This is a quick and easy, no-nonsense recipe that makes a terrific frittata in hardly any time at all.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 1 pound thin spear asparagus, tough ends snapped off, spears cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese (can sub cottage cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese (can sub an Italian blend)