Mmmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmm. Sausage and peppers with onions. This is one of those classic Italian-American street food, lunch cart dishes.
I used to order sausage, peppers, and onions at a hole-in-the-wall lunch counter in Burbank.
You know the type of place—where the big loud guy behind the counter works fast and furious, takes your order (you better know what you want!) and barks back “Sausage, Peppers, and Onions!” to the guys on the line, and within minutes you have a huge roll in your hands, loaded with more sausage and peppers with onions than you think you can possibly eat.
But eat you do, because that sausage and peppers with onions are so so good. And then you have a food coma for the rest of the afternoon, and you eat steamed broccoli for dinner because after that lunch, you just don’t need much for dinner. Yum!
What Kind of Sausage and Peppers to Use?
There are lots of possibilities here. You can use different colored bell peppers, or just stick with green. This recipe uses a combination of sweet and hot sausages, but if you want a milder dish, use only the sweet sausages and reduce the amount of chili pepper flakes in the recipe. Likewise, if you want it hotter, use hot sausages and/or bump up the amount of chili pepper flakes.
How to Store, Keep, and Freeze
This dish will keep for 3 to 4 days in the fridge, easily, but you can also freeze it for up to 3 months. Just defrost it in the fridge overnight and reheat in a saucepan over low heat, or pop it in a saucepan with a little bit of water or oil, over low heat, until completely warmed through.
TRY THESE OTHER EASY SAUSAGE RECIPES!
- Sausage Rolls
- White Beans and Sausage
- Grilled Italian Sausage with Peppers, Onions, and Arugula
- Sausage, Pepper, and Potato Bake
- Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Roasted Peppers
How to make sausage, peppers, and onions
- 4 Italian sausage links (sweet, hot, or a couple of each)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into 2 to 3 inch long strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 2 to 3 inch long strips
- 1 bell pepper of another color (yellow or orange or purple), sliced into strips 2-3 inches long
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced into slivers
- 1 large sweet or yellow onion, sliced into 1/4-inch half-moons
- 1 small (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 cup Marsala or red wine (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt to taste