Spinach and Cheese Overnight Strata
This hearty spinach and cheese strata is perfect for supper, a brunch buffet or a special holiday breakfast.
3 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 MAGGI Vegetarian Vegetable Flavor Bouillon Cubes, crushed – divided use
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper – divided use
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
8 cups cubed (1-inch) day-old French or Italian bread
2 cups shredded Gruyère or fontina cheese – divided use
1 cup BUITONI Refrigerated Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese – divided use
3 cups milk
9 large eggs
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- Grease 3-quart gratin dish or 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Stir in two-thirds of crushed bouillon, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper and nutmeg. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in spinach; remove from heat.
- Spread half of bread into prepared dish. Top with half of spinach mixture and then half of Gruyère cheese and half of Parmesan cheese.
- Combine milk, eggs, mustard, remaining crushed bouillon and remaining pepper in large bowl. Pour evenly over bread mixture. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Let strata stand at room temperature for 30 minutes; uncover.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.